How can I obtain Permanent Residence in Mexico?

Whether you are in Mexico as a temporary resident, as a visitor, or even outside of Mexico, you can obtain a permanent residence, as long as you meet the necessary requirements according to the case in which you can fit.

The cases for which you can request and obtain a permanent residence are listed in the Migration Law in its article 54, which are the following:

  1. For reasons of political asylum, recognition of refugee status and complementary protection or for the determination of statelessness, prior compliance with the requirements established in this Law, its Regulations and other applicable legal provisions;
  2. For the right to preserve the family unit in the cases of article 55 of this Law;
  3. That they are retirees or pensioners who receive from a foreign government or international organizations or private companies for services rendered abroad, an income that allows them to live in the country.
  4. By decision of the Institute, in accordance with the point system established for this purpose, in terms of article 57 of this Law;
  5. Because four years have elapsed since the foreigner has a temporary residence permit;
  6. For having children of Mexican nationality by birth;
  7. For being ascendant or descendant in a straight line up to the second degree of a Mexican by birth.

There are different procedures and ways through which you can obtain the status of permanent resident in Mexico, one of the most common is for having completed 4 years as a temporary resident without interruption in Mexico.

What rights, benefits and/or obligations do I get by being a Permanent Resident in Mexico?

Both in terms of rights and benefits, there are several that are obtained once permanent residence is granted, which are:

  1. a. They have the right to work in exchange for remuneration in the country, without the need for the National Migration Institute (hereinafter “INM”) to issue any special authorization. However, they will have the obligation to notify the INM within a period not exceeding 90 calendar days from the date they started working and the employer must have the corresponding Employer Registration Certificate issued by the INM itself.
  2. They have the right to enter and leave the country when they need to.
  3. Right to import your movable property, in the manner and terms determined by the applicable legislation.
  4. Right to maintain family unity, and therefore to request the status of temporary or permanent resident, as applicable, for their relatives, with the limitations established by the Migration Law and its regulations.
  5. Right to obtain your Unique Population Registry Code.
  6. They will no longer have to renew the permanent residence card, with the exception of minors who do, must renew until they reach the age of majority.
  7. They can apply for and obtain bank accounts; Bank credits; buy real estate with the legislation’s restrictions; get a driver’s license; obtain federal taxpayer registration before the SAT; among other administrative procedures.
  8. The foreigner must notify any change of address; Workplace; civil status; name; or, nationality, within 90 calendar days following the date the change occurred.

Once the foreigner has met the necessary conditions. As applicable in his particular case, he or she may apply for Mexican naturalization, but this is a different topic we explain in other articles.

Vega, Guerrero & Asociados, through the Immigration Area team, is available to provide advice regarding any questions concerning the status of permanent resident in Mexico.


También puede disfrutar